Saturday, March 26, 2011

Today's Gold, Maple Syrup and Recipe





I have only one maple tree in my yard and it's not even a sugar maple, but I have tapped it none the less. I have the bags and holders to catch the sap but it has been windy and the bags get holes so I cut a hole in the gallon jugs and hung those on the taps/spiles. I have tied them so they don't fall off.
The flow so far has been on the slow side, but it is still pretty cold out.

After I collect the sap I pour it through a coffee filter and then the boiling begins.




Everyone says not to boil it down in the house or it will make your wall paper peel. So I am boiling it in the house. Hey, if you had my wall paper you would too.
I make very small batches at a time. Usually boiling 2 gallons of sap when I have it and that boils down to about 6 to 8 ounces of syrup. Before it boils down too far I filter the sap again. If you do not filter it the syrup can get cloudy.
At my elevation the syrup is done when it reaches 218 degrees F.

Here is a bonus recipe for those of you that like pork roast or pork ribs.
I love slow roasting and I love BBQ, but at this time of year slow roasting on the grill isn't happening for me, I've got too many other things to do. So this is the next best thing.

Rub the meat with a mixture of season salt and brown sugar, remember more isn't always better. I would say the ratio is 1 part season salt to 4 parts brown sugar. Let the meat set in a large bowl for 30 minutes and then add a table spoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of liquid smoke. Let that set for 15 minutes.
Get a skillet good and hot and seer the meat on all sides. About 2 minutes per side. Place on a rack in a baking pan that is deep enough to hold a beer of your choice and a few cups of maple sap (not syrup).
Pour maple sap into the skillet to get some of the flavorful drippings and pour that over the pork. For a loin roast bake at 225F until meat reaches between 135 and 145F depending on how done you like it. Let it rest for 15 minutes and pour the drippings back into the skillet on high to reduce for a gravy. For ribs, baste them hourly and let them bake until they are fall apart tender. You really don't need much for sauce on these.

I now have gone and made myself hungry. Please feel free to leave comments or ask questions and I will respond as soon as I can. Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment