Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Making Decorations For The Wedding Reception

My oldest daughter is getting married this Friday and I have volunteered to help with the decorations. Okay, it was more like I insisted.
I have been busy with this so I haven't had much time to blog lately.
For the reception hall I want to make two decorative trees that will have lights on them.
Since love is the theme here, my daughter helped me decide on making hearts.

I was thinking about making the hearts with paper mache but I realized I don't have enough time for that so I decided to use Sculpey clay. I had two of my dear friends come over and help me make the hearts. They rolled the clay to form two long "snakes" and then twisted them together, this represents two hearts as one.

 Then we shaped them into hearts and set on foil lined baking sheets. I poked a hole at the top of the heart for hanging them and to attach a crystal in the middle.
When we got them all done they when into the oven to bake and harden.
Here is what they looked like right from the oven.


Then I painted them white.
This next picture is with one unpainted next to one painted.


I used acrylic paint because it dries fast.
After I got both side of the hearts painted I brushed white glue on them with a small paint brush and sprinkled clear crystal glitter on them.


Now we are ready for the crystals.
The crystals are being recycled from an old chandelier that was no longer functional. Most of them are the squares with the rectangle prism. There were only three with the circle on top.


I separated the squares and removed the metal wire. Then I recycled old fishing line to hang the squares inside the hearts.


I have made 44 of these and they will hang on two small trees. I will post more on the trees and decorations after the wedding complete with photos.
Until then, thank you for stopping by.

Dee Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment