Saturday, May 21, 2011

Glass Stove Top Cleaning





It's something I really don't enjoy doing, but letting it go too long gets even harder to clean. Those glass top cook stove messes. I really don't like this stove. In all honesty I would switch it up for gas or wood any day, or even an electric coil stove. I guess this just shows how some newer technology isn't always better.
For some recipes, this kind of stove is the last thing you should be using and you can not use a canner and a few other things on it. The heating is not consistent and the "burners" don't last. I had this stove under 2 years when the front burner fried out. So I don't recommend this type of stove, but if you have one I think I can help you with the cleaning of it.

I use plain baking soda and a soft rag. The rag here is old flannel. I wet the surface down and pour the baking soda on. This was more than I needed and the excess went to cleaning the sink. It takes a little bit of elbow grease (arm strength, for you young ones that don't know old terms) and if there are really hard spots I use a plastic scraper (the pink thing) to scrape off the thicker cooked on stuff. Between the two I got this burner cleaned in less than 10 minutes. Be careful not to scrub too hard or you will lose some of the finish. But then again the finish will probably last longer than the stove anyways.
After you get the grime off rinse your rag in warm water, wipe off the stove and then dry it with a dry towel.

Days like this make me want a wood burning cook stove even more.
I also had a kitchen fire tonight so I am a little upset with my stove as well as myself.

I hope you find this information helpful.
Cleaning makes cozy.
Thank you for stopping by.
Dee Dee

2 comments:

  1. Nice post on cleaning glass stop. I will mention on my blog www.seekingsimpleinthesuburgs.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info on cleaning glass stovetops. I have one and they can be a pain. I also follow the blogspot mentioned above, Seeking Simple in the Suburbs. It is full of great cooking, cleaning, and money saving tips. However, I did notice a typo in the address. It should be www.seekingsimpleinthesuburbs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete