Friday, April 29, 2011

Socks



The yarn I used for this pair of socks is "natura Advantage". It is 100% deluxe acrylic 3-ply sport weight. I used a size 3 set of double pointed needles.
I cast on 48 stitches and worked in the round in a knit 2, pearl 2 ribbing pattern until I have the desired length and start the heel flap.
For the gusset I did a quick drop down to accommodate a thinner ankle. It is very similar to how the toe shaping is done. The rest of the sock is a stockinette stitch with decreasing stitches by knitting 2 together or slipping and passing over stitches. If you know how to do this you can make socks easily.

Critiquing the yarn.
It is not really a very soft yarn. The end product is a sock that fits well, is thicker than store bought socks, isn't very comfortable and may not be all that warm for the winter.
I also made a scarf with this yarn because I have come to the conclusion that it is good for practicing new projects and stitches on. It would also make a nice afghan. Maybe one with delicate stitches and just for show.

Socks are a project that will take a few days to make when knitting by hand. They are definitely not a beginner's project but you don't need to to be an expert to make a pair. I have picked up some wool yarn to make some really high quality socks to make soon. I am just looking for that perfect pattern for a good knee high sock.

Thank you for checking out my post today. Please feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment