Friday, September 16, 2011

Left Over Pork Roast to Pot Pie - Part One

Last night I cooked a pork loin roast in the oven at 275 degrees F for a couple hours until the thermometer read 150 and let it set before slicing what we would eat for the meal.
I had more than half of the roast left, so today I took a casserole dish with a lid and put the remaining roast in there with the leftover whipped potatoes. I put that in the oven at 250 degrees F and let it roast for a few hours.
 Always place the fat of the meat on top!
The only seasoning I used was sea salt. 
As the roast cooked the juices mixed with the potatoes and created a gravy.
I added one cup of hot water and two chicken bouillon cubes until the cubes dissolved and then added that to the pork and continued to cook it. After the meat became flake apart tender I removed the layer of fat from the roast and flaked apart the roast. If the gravy is not thick enough I can add some more whipped potatoes or a small amount of instant potatoes to thicken it up.
This becomes a wonderful bass for a pork pot pie and at this point it is gluten and lactose free, which is amazingly good and it does taste creamy. For lactose free don't use butter or milk in your whipped potatoes. An alternative is chicken broth and maybe a little bit of rendered chicken fat. Many instant potatoes do use powdered milk so watch the labels.

Tonight everyone was in a hurry here so this was poured over buttered bread. There is a name for that but I can't repeat that here. Tomorrow if time permits, I will add some carrots and peas and make a pie crust dough to make pork pot pies. I am hoping to have enough left over to freeze a few pies.

Pie crusts can be made gluten free by using non gluten flours such as rice and potato flours. To make a lactose free crust, use lard or bacon grease instead of butter.

I have no problems with gluten or lactose so I use butter, milk and flour in many of my recipes unless I have family coming that is sensitive, then I try to adjust for them.

I can also imagine this would be absolutely delicious with some fried cabbage in egg rolls though I am sure that would not be a truly ethnic tasting experience.

You can use beef or chicken as well if you prefer and get similar results. But if you use a beef roast use either beef stock or bouillon instead of chicken.

Hopefully I will be back tomorrow with the pie making! Tomorrow is already a busy day.

This helped keep the temperature of my house very cozy on the chilly day. 

Thank you for stopping by.
Dee Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment