Friday, May 13, 2011

GOOD Tools!




My life has been a journey and not all of that path has been cozy.
Sometimes our own little realities bring us to a fork in the road and we must choose which path will be in our own best interest. I stopped for a moment at one of those forks and thought long and hard. How do I escape? Could I walk out that door with nothing and survive? I didn't think it was possible, but yet it had to be. People had been living with very little at the beginning of time and they kept going.
I needed to learn how to keep going.
So learn I did.
I bought a basic wilderness survival video and memorized it. Then I went to the library and read everything I could get my hands on regarding survival. I bought more survival videos and books. I secretly practiced what I had learned. Then I thought, "how can I make surviving a little more comfortable?" I had more learning to do.

I learned more knitting and crocheting stitches, how to make cordage, how to join wood for framing and furniture, to make a thatched roof, to make cooking utensils. Everything I could find on basic living skills, I tried to learn and memorize.

Knowledge is the most important tool you can have and with that, yes I can survive with just a knife, or less.

The first picture is what I always carry on me. A good folding knife, a magnesium fire starter and a flashlight.

The next picture is a mini kit, which I keep close by me in a water tight case to grab and go fast! It holds a whistle, mini flashlight, small fishing kit, knife sharpener, fire starter and a mini Swiss pocket knife.

The 3rd picture is some of what I carry in my GOOD (Get Out Of Dodge) AKA BOB (Bug Out Bag).
Snare wire, mini tools, fishing tackle, fixed blade knife, compass, pocket chain saw, sewing needles, small brass safety pins, hand drill (which can be used to start a friction fire), tri-fold shovel and work gloves. I forgot to show my safety glasses. I would love to add to this list of tools and I will as I can.

What I can tell you, with what I have and know, is that I will never have to go to a "shelter" that the government has set up and that's okay because they would never allow me in with my gear, and I could leave my home at a moments notice and I would be just fine.

I also keep some knitting needles and crochet hooks in my big bag as well because as clothing wears out, I'd like to be able to make more. This here would be a really nice and fairly complete set and it is very portable.


I really wish I had a set like that!


Knowledge is power, learn what you can now, and know that a man or a woman can survive on their own.

Thank you for stopping by, please feel free to comment or leave questions.
Dee Dee

2 comments: