Saturday, August 20, 2011

Planning Next Year's Garden -The Beginning

If you are in the Northern hemisphere Now is a great time to start planning next year's garden. If you are in the Southern hemisphere I would think that you would have your planning complete and you are either putting things in the garden or waiting to.

"Why start now?", you may ask.
Let me share a few things with you.


These are some of my left over seeds. Some, I am sure, are no longer viable but I have decided to try to use them up next year and maybe a few this fall.
My garden will be done in cooperation with a few neighbors and not only will we be sharing the fruits of our labor, it will be a wonderful opportunity to learn from others and share knowledge and to just enjoy the company of others. 

The first part in planning is deciding what to plant. "They" say  "Plant what you eat!" 
I say, "Why limit yourself?"
While many people won't try new things, there are others that are bravely forging a new food path. In the USA we have people here from all over the world and those who are Indigenous. They all have brought their different foods and a piece of their own cultivation experience and we learn from each other. When I was young I did not like garlic, today I love it. Some day you might like spinach. Why not grow it and try it from time to time.

Many of us are looking back at the old ways of growing as the best tasting produce, and most responsible to the planet. No Chemicals, all natural. I know that some of you will be able to pick out the fact that I have some old hybrid seeds in my basket. I will be quickly using them up and starting heirloom seeds when all the hybrids are gone. Some of the hybrids are so old I am sure they won't sprout. I will be getting into seed saving as time goes on.

So I need to sit down with my lovely neighbor and go through the planning of planting. What to plant and where, and how much should be planted.  We will draw out designs so that we can have a beautiful garden that will feed the eyes and soul as well as the body.

In the mean time, here is a tip for this time of year.
Start saving the empty toilet paper rolls and clean out empty one pint (milk, half & half or cream) containers.


Rinsing out and cutting off the top of the pint container, then poking some holes in the bottom make great starting pots. The thrifty have been doing this for decades.
The toilet paper rolls are for putting collars around plants to prevent cut worms from wiping out your seedlings.

Now to show you what we are up against and what we have to work with.
This is what happens when you have a garden and you get sick and have no one else there to help with it.

That lush growth there is where my compost pile was. It is weeds now.

These just happen to be my raspberry bushes.

At least I am providing a nursery for Monarch Butterflies.

This is my Asparagus row on the back side of the garden.

My Strawberries are lost and the Rhubarb is close to dying too. I couldn't even find the onion beds I had.

So as you can see there is much work to be done to get it ready for next year and I am still hoping against odds that I can just maybe get something this year.


What is needed is hard work. I hope I can rise up to the challenge. 

I hope you come back to watch the progress. I will try to post on it at least once a week.

Thank you for stopping by.
Dee Dee

2 comments:

  1. I don't waste my limited gardening space on something no one might eat. If we want to try something new or different, we either get it from another gardener or at a farmer's market. Of course, that might be different if we had more land than we knew what to do with, but here on the Trailer Park Homestead, space is at a premium!

    ReplyDelete
  2. With limited space that is understandable. But, for example, I have a huge rhubarb plant and we don't like rhubarb, however I can use it for bartering with people that do like it, or make strawberry/rhubarb jam or pie filling to give to friends and family as gifts. If I get sick of the plant at some point I can dig it up separate the roots and sell them.

    ReplyDelete