Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Dandelion Dilemma

Do you remember going out into the yard and picking a handful of these to give them to the most beautiful woman in the world?
I used to bring my mom a dandelion bouquet all the time, and when I became a mom it was my turn. If I had known then what I know now, I would have made fritters out of them!

Now, as my yard has been turning into a weed bed (I don't like chemical weed killers) the dreaded dandelion is gaining ground on me.
I have tried using sugar prevent them, which seemed to work for a while, but sugar is not a practical solution.
I am not going to make a long post about this because there are so many other blogs that have gone into such detail that I feel if you don't search out more information you may miss out on a lot. So please seek knowledge on this little wonder of a plant.

The main highlights I want to share with you is that, yes the leaves tend to be a bit too bitter for most people, but mixed with milder greens it is a bit nicer. You can make fritters or wine with the flowers. The roots can be used for a coffee substitute and for other uses. That said there are also great health benefits from the entire plant, from root to blossom.
Dandelions may be used for a wide range of conditions needing a mild diuretic treatment such as poor digestion, liver disorders and high blood pressure.
The white milky sap is said to be effective in treating warts and to heal other skin afflictions.

Be aware that there has been drug interactions with dandelion consumption and there is the possibility of other reactions. Don't be afraid of them. Just do some research before you proceed.

The following link is to a friend's page which has some interesting recipes. Please visit her site. I will be throwing caution to the wind and frying up some of those flower fritters!
Thank you Brenda!

Thank you for stopping by.
Dee Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment